Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Second-Hand Violin


I've always been impressed with the Apostle Paul who said he had learned to be content in all things. He endured shipwrecks, prison and persecutions, yet none of those things seemed to affect the inner peace and joy that remained in his heart.

There was once a great violinist named Paganini who entered the stage to play before an audience, when he noticed something was wrong with his violin. As he looked at it, he realized that it was not his famous, valuable violin. In a state of panic, he turned to his audience and told them there had been some mistake and he did not have his own violin. He stepped back behind the curtain thinking that his violin was where he left it, but he discovered that someone had stolen it and left an old, second-hand violin in its place. He remained back stage for a moment and then went out to face his audience. He said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I will show you that the music is not in the instrument, but in the soul." He played as he had never played before; and out of that second-hand instrument the music poured forth until the audience was captured with enthusiasm and the applause almost lifted the ceiling of the building. Paganini was able to effectively demonstrate that the music was not in the instrument, but in the soul.

The life of Paul and the story of Paganini both encourage me to be intentional about growing my faith "from within", developing the ability to say "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13) Paul learned to trust in the faithfulness of God because God was faithful to Him. His contentment discourse goes like this: "for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether being in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:11-13) It is as if Paul wrote the favorite hymn that we sing:

Great is Thy Faithfulness
Oh God My Father
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy Faithfulness
Lord unto me

If life hands us a "second-hand violin", it is a good opportunity for us to see whether or not the "music is within our souls." May we become like Paul and learn contentment in all circumstances as we trust in the faithfulness of God.

No comments: