Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Caught in the Storm


I have watched several episodes of “The Deadliest Catch” on the Discovery Channel. I am intrigued by the lives of the deep sea fishermen. They have no fear and they are consumed by one passion: to catch Alaskan king crab. These fishermen endure treacherous journeys across the Behring Sea, while they are beaten with icy, cold waves. Each voyage they take out into the mystic, violent ocean is an opportunity for survival, and a way to earn bountiful wages for their “deadliest catch.”
I have ridden some treacherous and daunting rides at Six Flags, but none can compare to the ride of a ship being tossed to and fro by a powerful storm. Not even a hefty dose of Dramamine would help with the sea-sickness and the disorientation that comes with such an experience. The Apostle Paul and his crew encountered many frightening events at sea. In the book of Acts, Luke documents one of their experiences very explicitly: “When a gentle south wind began to blow, they thought they had obtained what they wanted; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete. Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the “northeaster,” swept down from the island. The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along. As we passed to the lee of a small island called Cauda, we were hardly able to make the lifeboat secure. When the men had hoisted it aboard, they passed ropes under the ship itself to hold it together. Fearing that they would run aground on the sandbars of Syrtis, they lowered the sea anchor and let the ship be driven along. We took such a violent battering from the storm that the next day they began to throw the cargo overboard. On the third day, they threw the ship’s tackle overboard with their own hands. When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging, we finally gave up all hope of being saved.” (Acts. 27:13-20)

The riders of this ship felt completely out of control. There was nothing more they could do except hope and pray that somehow their lives would be spared. The irony of this is that when we feel we have completely lost control in the storm, God is most at work. In the storm, we see “no results” of our prayers. When the answer is out of our reach, we are not trying to “do it” any more, but we have rolled our burdens onto the Lord. Let us take the comfort out of it and not put our hands on it again. (I‘m talking to myself too!) Oh, what a relief it brings to know that He is already working on the difficulty. If we have truly rolled it onto Jesus, then we are looking to Him to perform the task. In the storms of my own life, God has comforted me with His Word, or He has sent ministering angels to me so that I may endure the trial. God was faithful to Paul in the same way. Paul quotes in Acts 27:23-25: “Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as He told me. Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.” I love Paul’s words, “The God whose I am”. He already placed his trust in the Great Deliverer, for he said, “I have faith in God that it will happen just as He told me.” Even though they would eventually shipwreck, God would be with them and preserve their lives. The moral of the story is: Trust the Calmer of the Storm. Charles Haddon Spurgeon once said, “The Lord will go through with His covenant engagements. Whatever He takes in hand He will accomplish; hence past mercies are guarantees for the future and admirable reasons for continuing to cry unto Him.”

Teach me, Lord to have faith
In what you’re bringing me will
Change my life and bring you glory
There on the storm I am learning to let go
Of the will that I so long to control
There may I be in your arms eternally
I thank you, Lord, you are the Calmer of the storm.
(From the song, “Calmer of the Storm” by Downhere)

No comments: