Friday, March 28, 2008

A Matter of the Heart

God has been reminding me lately that he is interested in my heart more than anything else that I have to offer. Not my talents, not my accomplishments, nor any of the "good things" that I have done. This is such a contrast to what the world considers to be important.

The keepers of the Law in Jesus' day were so consumed with their status and traditions based on the Laws that God once gave them. For them, it had become ritual, routine, and a matter of pride. However, Jesus rebuked them over and over again because they were missing the point: He spoke of them with these words; "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men." (Matt. 15:8-9). How tragic it was for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, in all of his glory to be standing in front of these men, and yet they did not even recognize who he really was. They did not have eyes to see or ears to hear because their hearts were "far from him." Perhaps this is why Solomon told his son, "Listen closely to my words; do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your HEART; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body. Above all else, guard your HEART, for it is the wellspring of life." (Prov. 4:20-23)

The risen Lord is in our midst today. Will we see him? Will we hear him? Christ reminds us in Matthew 5:8 that those who see God are those who are pure in HEART. It is our hearts he is after; not our traditions, our rituals, our status, or our hard work. Oh God, may our worship not be in vain to you. Let us hear your voice and see your glory as we seek you with whole hearts!

1 comment:

Emily K said...

What a great reminder that it's not about us and operating out of our strength or wisdom, but it's something so much greater! Thanks for this wonderful thought.