Saturday, April 5, 2008

Rest


Hebrews 4:1 "Therefore since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it."


Rest--just the mention of this word causes me to sigh. Rest is one of the greatest needs of our society. Everywhere I look, people are overwhelmed, overloaded, overworked and weary. Stress levels are at an all-time high and more people are on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications than ever before. What has happened to us? It is though we are on a merry-go-round, and we can't jump off because it is going too fast. We are spinning out of control!


Hebrews 4:1 tells us that the promise of rest is attainable. However, God did not intend for us to rest on our own. He said to "take his yoke upon us"--in other words, BE JOINED with him in the act of resting--to LEARN from him about how rest is to be achieved.


I have been learning that "to rest" means "a space of peace reserved for you"; "to quit, cease, put down worry". The phrase "enter that rest" is mentioned over and over again in Hebrews 4. What is "that" rest? It is HIS rest (v.5) If it is HIS rest, then there is no way we can do it on our own. However, Hebrews 4:11 tells us to make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following the bad example of the Jews in their lack of faith. So then, our part in resting is to join with God and believe him--to follow HIS example. Our part in resting is to cease striving, to quit worrying and to trust in his promises. He will provide the rest that we need. It then becomes a supernatural event. I heard a phrase this week: "Nothing makes God worry." I love to think that as I join with him and his attitude about things, I will not worry either. The slogan "Don't worry, be happy" takes on new meaning for me after reading Hebrews 4. (My son has the big mouth bass mounted on his wall that sings that silly song as you walk by!)


After God created the heavens and the earth, he rested from his work. However, the Bible never indicates that the rest ended. It was perpetual--this is God's example to us--perpetual rest in him!


Oh God, help us to LEARN from you as we join with you in YOUR rest that is promised to us!


Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy of what Thou art;

I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.

Thou has bid me gaze upon Thee and Thy beauty fills my soul,

For by Thy transforming power, Thou hast made me whole.

No comments: