Saturday, April 19, 2008

Peace

I'm seeing the word "peace" posted everywhere lately...on t-shirts, bumper stickers, billboards, etc. Why are people so infatuated with peace? It has almost become a foreign word, a lost art or a faint memory.

One of the names given to Jesus was the Prince of Peace. It is interesting to me that these two words are combined together. A prince, as we all know, is someone with power and authority--an heir to the throne. "Peace" is a sense of rest or contentment; wholeness. In other words, Jesus is the ruler over our sense of rest, contentment and wholeness. Christ's power and peace go hand in hand. This is evident when Jesus calmed the storm in Luke 8. He rebuked the winds and the waves and they dared to obey Him. He brought peace and calmness through His power.

In Jesus' last days on earth, he left us a "will". He said, "My peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you." (v.27) Then, in Matthew 28:18, he goes on to say, "All authority has been given to me in Heaven and on earth." The most amazing thing of all is what He says in John 16:15. "All things that the Father has are mine (including peace and power)--yet they will be disclosed to you and imparted to you by the Holy Spirit." I can hardly take this in! So then, the power and authority of Christ, as well as His peace are all available to me! This sounds like a simple Sunday school answer, but as I have meditated on this principle, I have been overwhelmed with God's goodness to impart such an incredible gift to me, and I have been convicted by the fact that I have not received it more often...

Prince of Peace, come and reign
Restore Your power to Your people once again
Take Your throne, rightful Lord,
Prince of Peace, come and reign forevermore!

No comments: