Sunday, May 4, 2008

Freshness


Freshness is another characteristic of an effective worship leader. It simply means "to live in the present tense." Worship leaders who exhibit freshness lead from the perspective of "today", and can often interject glimpses of their present journey with God into the corporate worship experience. There is a simple equation for us to follow: DAILY DEPENDENCE EQUALS FRESHNESS. I ate at a restaurant recently (I won't mention the name to save its reputation!) but I was very disappointed in the quality of the food. It did not taste fresh, but stale and old. I probably will not return to that restaurant because of the bad experience I had while eating there. In fact, every time I think of that restaurant, or pass by it, I will remember the dreadful old and stale food!


As I have reflected on the aspect of freshness as a characteristic of an effective worship leader, I remembered the words of Jesus as he referred to Himself as "Living Water". Jesus implied that He would offer freshness with every drink. He is our Daily "fresh" bread, the "fresh" Air that we breathe. He promises freshness to us each time we come to Him, and from that life-giving interaction, we can reflect His vitality in our daily living. I am always encouraged to know that God does His most ordinary work within our most mundane, ordinary activities. He is the Fresh wind and Fresh fire that blows through the most ordinary of circumstances. He is the flowing stream of fresh water that gives life to our parched souls.


God knows that we will expend ourselves on the most useless tasks. He knows that we will fret over what we cannot control. Yet, He offers this beautiful invitation: "Come to the waters...all who are thirsty...why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen to me, eat what is good and your soul will delight in the richest of fare! (Isa. 55:1-2)


Oh God, may we depend upon You daily to rejuvenate us so that we can reflect your fresh work in our lives!


You are the air I breathe

Your Holy presence living in me

You are my daily bread

Your very Word spoken to me

And I'm desperate for You

And I'm lost without You...

No comments: