Saturday, May 10, 2008

Vision


This year, I have prayed for God to give me spiritual vision. First of all, I want to see Him more clearly, but I also want to know what He specifically desires for me. I believe that I will worship God more authentically once I see Him more clearly. Throughout all generations, God has miraculously revealed Himself to individuals who were earnestly seeking Him. As a result of their vision from God, their lives were forever changed. They SAW, they WORSHIPED and bowed down and finally, they FOLLOWED Him. This happened to Moses, Abram, Isaiah, Paul, and the list goes on. Compelled by their vision from God, others followed them as well.


Great preachers, poets, prophets, songwriters and singers of old, are those who lived imaginatively from a vision from God. One who has received a vision from God can simply say, "Imagine the view from here." We have the songs and hymns today because people experienced certain aspects of God's character and dared to write about it. As a songwriter, I am always fascinated by the stories behind the songs that we sing. Perhaps the writer of "Shout to the Lord" was captivated by God's creation as she wrote: "Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing, power and majesty praise to the King, mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your name..." Others have written from a place of repentance: "We bow our hearts, we bend our knees, O Spirit, come make us humble..." From a place of mercy: "When I survey the wondrous cross, on which the Prince of Glory died..." From a place of awe: "You are beautiful beyond description, too marvelous for words..."


It is not really about singing the songs, but seeing God and calling others into the vision. The Lord promises to reveal Himself to us if we truly seek Him. However, we must be ready for our lives to be changed once we really see Him. Furthermore, we may be responsible for leading others to follow Him. A worshiper journeys through the multiple aspects of Almighty God, stopping at the "scenic overlooks" as he views the horizon of God's infinite glory. Then, he can say to others, "Imagine the view from here!"


Open the eyes of my heart, Lord...

I want to see You high and lifted up

Shining in the light of Your glory!


Be Thou my vision oh Lord of my heart

Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art--

Thou my best thought, by day or by night,

Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

No comments: