Wednesday, October 21, 2009

No Confidence in the Flesh


A couple of weeks ago at the Adult Bible Conference, Dr. Wiles mentioned that our society has become a very narcissistic society. We now have You Tube, the i-phone, My Space, etc., all of which display pictures and videos of ourselves and those we know. Many of the advertising campaigns have adopted the slogan “My__________________”, as in “My McDonalds”, My Albertsons”, etc. Advertisers are tapping into our “I, me mine” philosophy and we are rapidly being persuaded to focus inward to what belongs to us, much like two-year old children do with their favorite toys.
Many of our reality T.V. shows also emphasize narcissism such as America’s Top Model, American Idol, The Bachelor, etc. These shows reveal by process of elimination the most talented, the most beautiful, and the most desirable. Each contestant on these shows has one goal in mind: to win the prize; the coveted American Idol or Top Model title, as well all of the benefits that go along with that particular title.
When I read Philippians 3, I am reminded of how far we have drifted as a society from what Paul addressed in his letter concerning confidence in the flesh. Philippians 3 is the antithesis to narcissism.
“For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh…” (Phil. 3:3)
As we read further in Philippians 3, we find that Paul did not lack in self-confidence. In verse 4 he states: “…though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else things he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more…” In other words, as a Jew, he had it all: circumcised on the eighth day, from the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews, zealous toward the law, righteous in his legalism and faultless in his ability to follow the law. He had pedigree, education and flawless behavior according to Jewish heritage. However, in the midst of all of his accomplishments and impressive heritage and education, he developed a shift in his thinking regarding all of these things. He had an encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ. That one encounter changed everything about what he once thought for he wrote: “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain the resurrection from the dead.” (Phil. 3:7-11)
I am so impressed with Paul because he could have easily become self-sufficient in his own confidence, pedigree and heritage. Instead, he found something greater; a relationship with the Lord Jesus which added more depth and meaning than any earthly accomplishment or accolade. These words of Paul continue to remind me that Jesus is worth it; He is worth the loss of all things great and small. When we have experienced great loss in our lives, we gain the blessing of knowing Jesus in a more powerful and intimate way. When this happens, all that we once had diminishes in comparison to what lies ahead. That is why Paul said, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. What a wonderful promise awaits us as we persevere and lay aside those earthly hindrances which so often entangle us. There is a prize more wonderful than we can imagine, and we can rejoice because Jesus is our prize. As Paul says, “Let us live up to what we have already attained” as we eagerly wait for Jesus to bring everything under His control and He will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like him in glory. Halleluiah, what a Savior!

No comments: