Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Continue


My daughter, Haley was struggling with her math homework last week and I discovered that I could not help her at all because I had completely forgotten everything I learned in high school math. In fact, I was overjoyed on the day I finally finished my last math exam in college. Math was not one of my favorite subjects, but I do remember vaguely that all of the information was cumulative; one step led to another and many of the formulas were somehow related to each other. The reason that I didn’t remember any of my high school math is because I didn’t continue with it. The same is true with piano lessons. So many people have approached me and have said, “I wish I hadn’t quit my piano lessons when I was growing up.” Many students begin piano lessons at about age 9 and quit somewhere between the ages of 12 and 15. There are just too many distractions and many more attractive options available for teen-agers who find themselves in the drudgery of practicing the piano. However, I was one of those unusual students who loved to practice the piano and I continued lessons all through college and even in my graduate years. Even now, I play regularly each week to keep my skills sharp because I know if I quit playing, I will begin to lose the accuracy and technique that I have worked to develop all of these years.
As I read 2 Timothy this week, I was reminded of the importance of continuing in what we have learned about the Lord and His Word. Like many of you, I grew up in the Baptist church, and was exposed to so many sermons, Bible stories, memory verses, hymns, praise songs, etc. It is amazing to think that all of the truths contained in those songs, Bible verses and sermons are still somewhere in the recesses of my mind. I still remember Bible verses that I learned in the 4th grade. I still remember some of the great songs that I learned as a child and as a teen-ager. I remember my Sunday school teachers and pastors from my childhood. All through my life, God has been building a foundation of truth for me so that I may be able to stand upon it during times when my faith may be tested.
It is evident that as Paul and Timothy shared ministry together, they encountered some difficult situations and great times of testing. Paul was in the process of “passing the torch” to Timothy so that he could carry on the work of preaching the Gospel. It was also at this time that Timothy needed some encouragement. Paul, the ever resilient and tenacious ambassador of the Lord, admonished Timothy to continue in what he knew to be true, just as he himself had done. In his tender letter to Timothy he wrote, “You, however know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. In fact everyone who wants to live a godly life will be persecuted, while evil men and imposters will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim. 3:10-17)
By continuing in what we have learned, we have the opportunity to become convinced of the truths that we have heard repeatedly and have witnessed in others. Through our knowledge of the Scriptures we allow the Lord to equip us for every good work because all Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. May we follow Paul’s example as he said in 2 Timothy 1:12: “…for I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.”

No comments: