Thursday, December 31, 2009

Jesus What a Friend for Sinners


As I read through the book of 1Timothy 1 this past week, I was particularly impressed with verses 13, 14 and 16. These verses reminded me of the vast mercy and infinite patience of our Lord as He continues to pour out His love out on those still walking in darkness. Paul admitted his own frailty and painful past as he reflected upon his own life in his letter to Timothy: “Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.” (1Tim. 1:13) Not only does God pour out his grace, but He also throws in a couple of bonus gifts: His faith and love! The faith that He supplies will allow us to grasp how high and wide and deep His love is for us, then we will be able to further understand His abundant grace. He knew that we needed help “wrapping our minds” around this concept so He offered some assistance! Paul continues in his letter to Timothy by saying, “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.” It occurred to me this week that we, who are followers of Christ, are living examples of the patience of God in order that others might believe Him. His work in our lives is a manifestation of His unlimited patience and others will see it and believe! This is truly miraculous. It is no wonder that Paul ended this particular discourse with an incredible benediction: Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever Amen.” (1 Tim. 1:17)
Jesus came to free the captives, to redeem and restore all that has been stolen from us, and to bind our wounds when we were helpless in our own sinful, ignorant unbelief. He came to seek and to save those who were lost. Jesus was and still is a friend to sinners; and now He is saving, helping, keeping, and loving us. He also promises his loving presence with us until the end of our days on earth. Hallelujah what a Savior!

Jesus What a Friend for Sinners
Jesus What a friend for sinners!
Jesus lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior makes me whole.
Hallelujah! What a Savior! Hallelujah! What a friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end!

No comments: