Thursday, December 31, 2009

God You Are!


Psalms 46:10 tells us to “Be still and know that He is God.” Part of that process involves consciously thinking about the different aspects and characters of God. I am amazed at how quickly I can forget what I read in my Bible if I don’t continually keep it before me. In the first chapter in the book of James, we are instructed to “look intently” into the Word of God so that we are not like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and forgets what he looks like. “Looking intently” means that we need to focus on the Word of God in such a way that it makes an unforgettable impression in our hearts and minds. Years ago, a friend encouraged me to read through the Bible and look for different aspects of God’s character. I began to make a list of all of the wonderful qualities of God that I had found in His Word, and before I knew it, my stress level went down significantly and my faith was increased. It makes perfect sense for us to focus intently on the Word of God and praise Him for his incredible characteristics. As I made a list of the characteristics of God, I would recall back to Him those attributes and say, “God, You are faithful” or “God ,You are my Redeemer.” We can also simply say, “God, You Are” because He is the Great I Am! This past week, I focused on God as my Deliverer. Here are some wonderful verses that proclaim God as our Deliverer. May He bless you today with these Scripture passages:
Psalm 34:4-7
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor man called, and the LORD heard him, he saved him out of all of his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him. And he delivers him…
Psalm 91:14-16
“Because he loves me”, says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation. “
Isaiah 46:4-5
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. To whom will you compare me or count me as equal? To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?
2 Cor. 1:8-10
We do not want you to be uninformed brothers about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. In- deed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us.
2 Sam. 22:17-20
He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster but the LORD was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.
Thank you Lord, for being our Great Deliverer!

No comments: