Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Standing the Test of Time


As a consumer in today’s market, I appreciate products that live up to their names. Through the years, we have come to depend on certain brand names and products that consistently demonstrate good quality. They stand the test of time. Brands such as Maytag, Toyota, Honda, Eddie Bauer, GAP Clothing, General Electric, etc., have all been around for quite a while and have proven their effectiveness and reliability over and over again. The research, attention to detail, and the actual materials used in these products have all contributed to their quality and popularity.
As I read Acts 24 this morning, I was reminded of the quality, and power of the Gospel. Not only has it withstood the test of time and persecution, but the author and initiator of the Gospel is eternal and without imperfections. He is full of power and authority. It is no surprise then, that the Gospel would display power and eternal evidences as well. I was struck with this truth when I read about Jesus’ encounter with his followers on the road to Emmaus after He had risen from the dead. As Jesus spent time with his followers, their eyes were opened to the truth about Him. After Jesus had disappeared, they asked each other, “Did our hearts not burn within us as we were with him?” (Acts 24:32) They experienced power in His presence and the fire that once burned within their hearts continues even today in the hearts of those who receive the good news about Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection. Jesus continues to open the eyes of those who do not understand, who do not yet believe and He sheds the light of His truth to all who seek Him.
I am so thankful for a God who is dependable, whose Gospel is trustworthy, as both have proven to stand the test of time with power and effectiveness. I am thankful for a God who is mighty to save, and His truth and authority extends through all generations. I am thankful to serve a risen, glorious Savior.
I serve a risen Savior,
Who’s in the world today,
I know that He is living
Whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy,
I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him
He’s always near

He lives, He lives,
Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life’s narrow way
He lives, He lives
Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives
He lives within my heart!

No comments: