Friday, January 11, 2008

Be Still

January 11, 2008

I am a collector of "words." When a word speaks to me, I think about it, expound upon it, etc. I guess that's what songwriters do... Anyway, the word "Still" has impressed me lately. Of course, my favorite words are found in God's Word--especially this verse: "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

As Christians, our walk with God is full of activity. We clap our hands and sing for joy, we walk by faith, we run toward the eternal prize, we bow down before God, we stand firm in what we believe. The wise Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 3:11, "Everything is appropriate in its own time." There is a time and a season for everything; a time for every event under Heaven."

There is also a time to be still; to rest and to listen. It is in the stillness and quietness that I can gain strength and hear God's voice. When I am still and quiet, I realize that God is God!

We have many responsibilities in the Christian life and the Bible is clearly marked with instructions about what we are to "do" to lead godly lives. Sometimes, however, situations may be out of our control, or we may go through times of disillusionment, grief or confusion. It is during these trials that is particularly important for me to be still. I need to cease striving to fix things that only God can handle. He promises to work when we roll our burdens onto Him and wait in stillness before him. (Ps. 37:5)

As a bird lets down its wings to rest upon a branch, I want to "let down my wings" and cease from fluttering so that I can gain strength and direction for the journey ahead. I really want to learn the beauty and blessing in the art of being still before God. I want to understand the calmness and peace that comes as I wait in His presence until I hear from Him. Then, I believe that I wil return to ALL of my activities (of which there are MANY!) with greater purpose, greater meaning and greater enthusiasm than ever before!

No comments: