Friday, January 18, 2008

January 18, 2008

Absorbing Nutrients

I am one of those people who gets bored easily. But when something captivates me, I am awestruck and impressed, never forgetting what I have seen and heard. Surely, in this society of sensory overload, it is increasingly more difficult to be awestruck. I believe the key to remain awestruck, is creativity, which stimulates appeal. If something appeals to us, we will then ingest it--much like food. If the food presentation isn't good, we will probably turn up our noses and walk away. But if the presentation is appetizing, our mouths will water and we will immediately begin to savor every bite. In doing so, our bodies will naturally absorb important nutrients better than any vitamin could ever benefit us.
So would I rather take a pill or savor a plate full of pan-seared tilapia, whipped potatoes and asparagus drizzled in herb butter?
We live among a generation who wants nothing to do with the church. If we listen to them for very long, we will discover that it's not the message of the church they dislike, but rather the way it is presented.
Just as the restaurants need the creativity of its chefs, communicators in the church need to work skillfully with the gifts they have been given: crafting images, writing songs, painting pictures, telling stories, etc. to help whet the appetites of those hearing and experiencing the truths of God's Word.
This is one of the callings that I believe God has given me. I don't want to ever become so concerned about what exact spiritual "nutrients" are needed, that I forget what the meal should actually taste like. I want to feast on the riches of the truths of God's Word and savor every bite; I want to participate in that Divine feast in every way possible. God help me to express the truths of your Word creatively so that it becomes irresistable to those who need to absorb the "proper nutrients"!

3 comments:

misty said...

Yes, we are back in Texas. It's nice to be near family but I really miss New York! We are patiently (well, sort of) awaiting Luke's arrival and the transition to parenting two!

We did not go back to Connect because we wanted to find a church in Fort Worth where we live and can have actual community in our community - something we really learned to value in New York. We're still visiting churches but have recently taken to a church called Mosaic Fort Worth.

I didn't know you were blogging - I'll be able to keep up with you now! And we'll send out an email when Luke gets here. Keep in touch and maybe we'll see you guys soon. It was good to hear from you!

Paulette said...

Hey Jana!
This was a great post!! You are a gifted writer among all of your other awesome talents!
I have been helping out a Pastor friend of mine in his church for the past 6 weeks, as there church went through a split, I stepped in to help teach a third grade S.S. class. Last Sunday was my last day( woo hoo) as I only committed to 6 weeks.
I can't wait to get back to F.B.C.A again.
See you Sunday!

Emily K said...

Jana, This is a great reminder. While the church stands alone in Biblical truth, and will stand the test of time (the gates of hell will not prevail against it), God has given us the ability to be creative. He's given us hearts and minds to use to draw people to Him. He's given us creativity to express ourselves and our worship to Him in so many different ways. WHat a wonderful gift!